# Status Checks
Status checks let you turn a measurement into a basis for an alert, allowing you to use measurements to gauge the health of your network in a variety of ways.
We'll be covering both the simple method for setting up status checks that uses the default options, and a more complex example that makes use of the various customisations available.
# Quick Start
If you just want to get started using status checks, you simply need to do the following:
- Create a RIPE Atlas ping measurement using either the website or the API.
- You may use up to 1,024 probes.
- Note the newly-created measurement ID
- Go to:
<measurement-id>is the ID from your newly created measurement. If the measurement in question is not public, you'll need to include an API key header in your request.
- Go to the URL again later to check whether anything has changed.
- Define your alerts accordingly.